Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

antibodies and immune suppression

Thank you Dr. for taking the time to answer my question. You are greatly appreciated by me and many others I'm sure. Since you answered my question, I consider your job done, however, If you ever get a chance???? Simple psch. says, when the immune system is suppressed, it stops producing lymphocytes, isn't true then that antibodies, which are produced by lymphocytes, would stop being produced. If you could answer this, yes or no, I'd love you even more. Quite a disease isn't it. New things being found every day. You're a blessed soul, thanks, and prayers for you!

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Immune system suppression is a complex phenomenon. It can be caused by diseases, like HIV, can be an inherited problem, and can be caused by medicines used to treat other problems or to prevent rjection of a transplanted organ. Each cause of immune suppression acts a bit differently, and even though the end result is a damaged immune system, the damage is manifested differently in each case.

So it is too braod a statement to say that immune suppression means that your body isn't producing enough lymphocytes. There are several types od lymphocytes, and they can each be affected differently. Antibodies are produced by B lymphocytes, and while antibody production may be poor to a germ an AIDS patient has never met before, that is because T helper lymphocytes-- which are the primary target of HIV-- play a role in helping B cells do what they're supposed to do. So the answer to your question is No-- B cells go on producing the antibodies they've been programmed to make, although they may have a hard time making a brand new antibody to a new germ in patients with AIDS.

Neuropathy Progression
tonsilitis and swollen glands