Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Chronic Sore Throat and HIV

Dear Dr. Feinberg,

I've read some postings indicating a sore throat is associated more with seroconversion...is this correct?

Thank you for your unselfish work for ones in need.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

A sore throat can be one of many possible symptoms that occur when someone is newly infected with HIV. I don't know what you mean when you say that a "sore throat is associated MORE with seroconversion". A sore throat can reappear as a symptom later on in the course of HIV, when people have CD4 cell counts well below 500. In this situation, the sore throat isn't due to HIV itself, but to thrush (candida) or aphthous ulcers or some other specific cause.

MAC Again?
blood in stool?