Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Still Possible To Get An OI?

Hello Dr Feinberg, Could you tell me if it is still possible for me to get an OI, and if so, how likely? I've been on HAART for one year now with an undetectable viral load, a CD4 count just over 100 (but steadily falling), and prophylaxis (Pentamidine) for PCP. I was diagnosed HIV+ and in intensive care last year for PCP. My HIV doctor tells me that it would now be very remote for me to contract an OI, as immunologically I'm fine because of the undetectable viral load, even though the CD4 count is low. Just wanting some reassurance. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I would love to provide that reassurance, but having an improved T cell count is more protective against OIs than having an undetectable viral load and persistently low CD4 cell counts. Don't spend a lot of time worrying about this, but also don't give up your PCP prophylaxis until your CD4 cells have been above 200 for at least 3 months.

open oozing sores
muscle twitch and hiv