Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Counselor Needing Help

I am counseling a paitient who was involved in a very low risk activity about a year ago. He received oral sex three times from someone with an unknown status. He was and is constantly worried about hiv. He tested neg, at 6 months. He continues to have symptoms, including cmv. His Dr. says that cmv, is usually only active with those who have aids, or have had a transplant. His Dr. has ordered a second test; this indivual is suicidal. My research says that the test at 6 months would be accurate, and that chronic symptoms would be unlikely at one year after being infected. Can I reassure him he is not infected, based upon these facts. ( I am to see him this evening so a response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for your help.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Your client is not HIV+ from the facts you have described to me, but he really needs your help to understand why he is so obsessed about the consequences of the sexual activity he was involved in. Good luck to both of you.

Re: gonorrhea & hiv
Acyclovir