Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Counselor Needing Help
Aug 25, 2001

I am counseling a paitient who was involved in a very low risk activity about a year ago. He received oral sex three times from someone with an unknown status. He was and is constantly worried about hiv. He tested neg, at 6 months. He continues to have symptoms, including cmv. His Dr. says that cmv, is usually only active with those who have aids, or have had a transplant. His Dr. has ordered a second test; this indivual is suicidal. My research says that the test at 6 months would be accurate, and that chronic symptoms would be unlikely at one year after being infected. Can I reassure him he is not infected, based upon these facts. ( I am to see him this evening so a response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for your help.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Your client is not HIV+ from the facts you have described to me, but he really needs your help to understand why he is so obsessed about the consequences of the sexual activity he was involved in. Good luck to both of you.

Previous
Re: gonorrhea & hiv
Next
Acyclovir

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.