Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

time to development of Aids

Dr Feinberg; I keep reading on all these sites on average it takes 8-10 years to develop Aids without Medication,I tested Negative in March 99 and in April 2000 dianosised with aids my CD4234/8 VL 5000,two later my partner also was diagnosised with Aids his numbers CD4 104/27 vl 96000.I had never practiced unsafe sex prior to meeting him and the condom broke,because we didn't think he was infected i didn't ask for PEP,thats not issue.In October i was diagnosised with an advanced NHL and the Oncologist believes i been cooking this Lymphoma at least 6-8 months,could this have affected my inital numbers.Why did i get so sick from the start and why do Doctors miss lead people with this 8-10 year lie.I was a healthy guy who eat right and worked out 5-6 times per week,and prior to this only saw the doctor for my yearly check up and never had an STD,even if 99 was a false neg,my test every year prior was neg.Can you shead some light on my situation.Thank you.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

When we say that on average, it takes 8-10 years after infection to develop AIDS, that means that some people will develop AIDS very rapidly and some will develop it very slowly: the AVERAGE time is 8-10 years, but different people will experience different rates of disease progression. You weren't mislead, you just misunderstood what is meant by "average".

HIV, pseudomonas, Bronchiolitis obliterans
hiv testing results reporting timeframe