Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

time to development of Aids
Aug 23, 2001

Dr Feinberg; I keep reading on all these sites on average it takes 8-10 years to develop Aids without Medication,I tested Negative in March 99 and in April 2000 dianosised with aids my CD4234/8 VL 5000,two later my partner also was diagnosised with Aids his numbers CD4 104/27 vl 96000.I had never practiced unsafe sex prior to meeting him and the condom broke,because we didn't think he was infected i didn't ask for PEP,thats not issue.In October i was diagnosised with an advanced NHL and the Oncologist believes i been cooking this Lymphoma at least 6-8 months,could this have affected my inital numbers.Why did i get so sick from the start and why do Doctors miss lead people with this 8-10 year lie.I was a healthy guy who eat right and worked out 5-6 times per week,and prior to this only saw the doctor for my yearly check up and never had an STD,even if 99 was a false neg,my test every year prior was neg.Can you shead some light on my situation.Thank you.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

When we say that on average, it takes 8-10 years after infection to develop AIDS, that means that some people will develop AIDS very rapidly and some will develop it very slowly: the AVERAGE time is 8-10 years, but different people will experience different rates of disease progression. You weren't mislead, you just misunderstood what is meant by "average".

Previous
HIV, pseudomonas, Bronchiolitis obliterans
Next
hiv testing results reporting timeframe

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.