Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

PCP

Dr Feinberg; Thank you for your kind and caring work on this site.Doctor went saw my Doctor today after having a fever 101 to 101.6 since Sunday,currently been treated for NHL and recieved Cytoxin Thursday.I developed a cough on Sunday but recently had upper resp infection in July and cleared up with Cipro,also nearly weened off Prednisone last dose tomorrow,my Doctor said it looks like stage 3 PCP,My HIV numbers are CD4 271/22 undectable VL. Apart from the fever and non-productive cough i feel fine,how could i go from a clear chest sounds Thursday 9th August to PCP 14th,could you explain as my present Doctor does isn't good with answering questions.Thank you.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I don't know what your doctor means by "stage 3" PCP, but PCP usually has a gradual onset. The one situation where this could be different is when someone has a hematologic malignancy, as you do. Everyone who is HIV+ and is treated for NHL should be receiving preventive medication for PCP regardless of their CD4 cell count; it doesn't sound like this is the case for you. Fever and a non-productive cough are the most common symptoms of PCP. I hope you are being treated-- it can worsen, even if you don't feel particularly bad now. Good luck!

Is the window period the same for other HIV strains?
Herpes Simplex in corners of mouth