Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Second Opinion on KS

I've read that most late stage Kaposi's Sarcoma lesions do not blanch upon pressure. I noticed a flat red lesion about 5mm on my right shoulder. I visited an internist and showed him the spot during the check up.

He pushed on it and then said it was the begining of a cherry angioma.

I noticed in another posting on this site saying that Dr. Dezube didn't find the blanching method effective in testing for Kaposi's Sarcoma.

What my doctor too quick in his assesment; should I have a second opinion?

thanks!

Response from Dr. Feinberg

First of all: are you HIV+? Secondly, the only foolproof way to diagnose KS is by biopsy, although clinicians experienced in managing patients with HIV can usually make the correct diagnosis just by inspecting the lesion. I agree with Bruce Dezube that blanching is not the most specific finding for KS.

parvo virus
pictures of karposi sarcoma