Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is it common to have burning feeling on legs?
Aug 9, 2001

Been positive from last 3 years on no medication except some multivitamin. I developed a strange feeling(burning, cold? ) on by both leg(shin) with deep pain. some time i do feel such burning feeling on my skin of arms. It is persistent from last 2 months. I visited hospital and they asked me to do nerver wave conduction test and lumber x-ray. They both came normal.( If i disclose i am positive to doctors, i will lose my job, everything). So, i do not want to expose my status. Except hiv, they tested my syphilish, hepatitis A,B,C , etc. all were normal. Now, they have asked me to visit them on 27th and they are thinking of doing MRI of my lumber. I just would like to know from you that is is common on positive people or hiv cause this kind of pain or problem? does it means, my days in this world are not more?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

It sounds to me like you may have neuropathy, although this should have been seen with the nerve conduction study. It is reasonably common to have neuropathy associated with HIV, but neuropathy can occur in a number of different disease states besides HIV. If the tests turn out consistent with neuropathy, that will not mean that your doctoros automatically know that you are HIV+, although they may ask you to take an HIV test if they don't find any other cause, so be prepared to deal with that.

Previous
Fever and Swollen Ankles
Next
sed rate

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.