Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

floaters

Dr. Feinberg

Since I asked this question last it has not been answered and i talked to an optimoligist. I might have been infectedc1/98 but never got tested because I was told I was at very low risk and testing was not nesasary with my exposure. I,ve noticed squigly see thru lines that float across my vision especially in the sunlight when I am looking at the sky. They are not alsways there and usually I have to look for them. I have read that CMV retinitis has floaters but they are descibed as black dots is this true? Is it normal for somone to show there first sighns of hiv with cmv retinitis I have had no other problems and understand that aids normally takes on average 10 years I have had no fevers,thrush,rashes,etc...I asked an optimoligist that I know about this and he said that they are floaters and that just about everyone has them and they are so common that he even has a pamphlet on them. Should I be worried or is this normal I really would like your opinion.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

This is normal. It is highly unlikely that someone would get HIV-associated CMV retinitis without any other intervening symptoms or problems. Floaters are common and not specific for CMV disease, although they can be an indication of CMV as well as aging and other conditions.

Does this apply to all?
KS