Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Brain Lesions
Aug 6, 2001

Two years ago I was diagnosed with HIV and brain lesions. Eventually the brain lesion cause my whole right side, as well as my tongue, became paralyzed. The doctors couldn't figure out what was causing my brain lesion (they ruled out PML, toxo), so they had to drill a hole in my head and got a sample of it. They couldn't figure out what it was. I started to get better because of the HIV drugs and antibiotics they were pumping into me. Because I couldn't move my tongue, they put a feeding tube directly into my stomach. When I got out of the hospital (2-1/2 months later) I could feed myself (they took the tube out) and had to learn to walk and talk again. It has been 2 years since then. I still use a cane and my talking is getting slowly better. You have to listen to me carefully to understand what I'm saying.

What I want to know is this, are there any people like me? I still can't write or type with my right hand.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Yes, there are. It is often difficult to make a specific diagnosis of brain lesions in HIV+s, even with a biopsy. Many other individuals have a history like yours, where they slowly get better with HIV medications and physical/occupational therapy. I suspect that you and the others I've seen may have had PML, even though the biopsy wasn't diagnostic.

Previous
Lymph Node question
Next
is folliculitis a symptom of aids

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.