The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Lymph Node question
Aug 6, 2001

It has been said that in the case of HIV infection, the lmyph nodes may swell, and they may or may not be painful. So I have two questions:

1. I know that the lymph nodes are bean shaped. So can you feel them in your body if they are close to the skin, even if they are NOT swollen?

2. Is it possible that a lymph node can be fighting infection and not really be swollen, just have like a pinching pain taht lasts for maybe 3 seconds, and then completely disappears, and comes back maybe a few hours later, and once again disappears, or if it were painful, would it last?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Lymph nodes generally have to be enlarged for them to be palpable (felt through the skin). They are round to oval i shape. When they are painfully enlarged, it is a constant discomfort, not something that flashes on and off for a few seconds at a time.

Anal abcess
Brain Lesions

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.