Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Lymph Node question

It has been said that in the case of HIV infection, the lmyph nodes may swell, and they may or may not be painful. So I have two questions:

1. I know that the lymph nodes are bean shaped. So can you feel them in your body if they are close to the skin, even if they are NOT swollen?

2. Is it possible that a lymph node can be fighting infection and not really be swollen, just have like a pinching pain taht lasts for maybe 3 seconds, and then completely disappears, and comes back maybe a few hours later, and once again disappears, or if it were painful, would it last?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Lymph nodes generally have to be enlarged for them to be palpable (felt through the skin). They are round to oval i shape. When they are painfully enlarged, it is a constant discomfort, not something that flashes on and off for a few seconds at a time.

Anal abcess
Brain Lesions