Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

thrush= disease progression?
Aug 6, 2001

Hello Dr. Feinberg,

I've been trying to get answer to this for months, but no luck. A bit frustrating in light of the some of the questions answered.

Can you please help?

Supposing a friend has oral thrush one month after a risky exposure. I understand that oral thrush is a good indicator of HIV progression which is why I'm not sure I understand why he is experiencing thrush during the acute stage. He does not have any other symptoms that generally come along with the acute infection stage(fever, headache) except for occasional loose bowels.

Is this common in your experience?

The person is healthy person but has had HSV2, Dengue fever, and mono as a kid. Could he not have enough in his immune reserve to fight HIV. Could it be possible, even though he is healthy in general(no cancer or life threatening illness)and did not have many of the symptoms during he acute infection stage, that the CD4 levels could get to 350 or below in only one month, or during the acute stage?

In what cases would oral thrush present itself during the acute stage? Is HAART still recommended for these patients even if they have a decent Cd4 count(700) and a reasonable vL?

There is so much data on thrush as an indicator of the late stage of HIV infection, but not much on thrush during the acute stage.

thankyou so much in advance.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

There is no perfect, all-encompassing answer to what acute retroviral syndrome may consist of. Typically, it is a mono-like illness that can be complicated by the types of problems that are seen in more advanced disease (like thrush or even PCP) if the person's T cells drop to low enough levels. I think it's probably uncommon to have thrush but no other symptoms as part of ARS. The past illnesses described in your email should not by themselves cause an inadequate immune response.

Previous
recurring flu like symptoms off meds
Next
Anal abcess

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.