Aug 6, 2001
hi there, my question is, can being hiv positive cause any food intolerance? will eating certain foods like dairy products cause diarrhoea in hv positive people? can the hiv virus cause lactose intolerance?
Response from Dr. Feinberg
In my experience lactose intolerance is not uncommon among HIV+s, but there are no data that indicate it is the direct result of HIV itself. It may be due to a genetic predispostion, as lactose intolerance in general is higher in some racial/ethnic groups such as people of Asian or African descent.
Test for HIV on donated blood
- Treatment For Neuropathy In Arms And Hands And Legs And Feet
- Fatty Liver And Hepatitis
- Can A Health Care Professional Refuse To Treat A Hiv Patient?
- What Has Caused The Evolution Of Drug-resistant Strains Of Hiv?
- Yeast Infections And Shingles
- What Would Happen If You Had Sex With Someone That Had Genital Warts?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.