Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Early sign of KS ?

Dear Doctor Feinberg

I was infected with HIV a year ago. My CD4 counts are around 550 and I am not on any meds, and my viral load is low.

What is concerning me is that 'muddy' dark purplish patches of skin are appearing on my feet,ankles and forearms. They are not raised, but I certainly did not have them before this. In addition I have developed a small round, purple 'blister' on my nose that bleeds very easily sometimes just washing my face is enough for it to start bleeding. My doctor says that these cannot be early signs of KS, but I am not so sure ? Your opinion would be most appreciated ?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

The nose lesion that bleeds easily doesn't sound like KS, but since I can't see the other lesions, I suggest that you have them checked by a dermatologist if you remain concerned. KS can occur at high T cell counts, although that isn't common.

Covered in red spots
Blurred vision