Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

aids associated nephropathy

My doctor found problems with my kidneys through blood work we have been doing...I had a sonogram done of my kidneys and I am going to do a 24 hour urinalysis tomorrow. He suspects this is HIVAN...I read some of the letter's posted on this web site...doesn't sound good...I was wondering if there is more current information on this problem and how one could find the best avenue for help...such as transplants...thanks...

Response from Dr. Feinberg

It is not easy to get an organ transplant if you are HIV+, although that doesn't mean you shouldn't try if that is what you and your doctor think is best for you. Some HIV+ people with HIV-associated nephropathy (HIVAN) have had dramatic improvement of kidney function as a result of good viral load and T cell responses to HIV therapy, so you should explore that thoroughly before you consider other options, such as dialysis or transplantation.

Best Way to Take Bactrim Prophylactic?
?Rash Due to HIV Infection