Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Best Way to Take Bactrim Prophylactic?

Hi, I've just finished treating an active case of PCP and am going to start a Bactrim prophylactic regime. Is it better to take one double strength a day or three a week? Are there studies proving that one is more effective/better tolerated than the other? Thank you!

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Taking a double-strength Bactrim every other day appears to work as well as taking it daily. I prefer to place people on daily prophylaxis for 2 reasons: there is a lot more evidence for this regimen, and it is easier to remember to do the same thing every day than to change dosing habits from day to day which may make you more likely to miss a dose. In the end, prophylaxis only works if it is taken correctly.

O.I's that are AIDS Defining Illnesses
aids associated nephropathy