Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

O.I's that are AIDS Defining Illnesses

Hi my name is Portia Duff and I am a Public Health Trainer/Educator with the HIV/STD Prevention program for my state. A question that keeps coming up in my trainings and presentations is are there any new diseases that are O.I's that with the presence of HIV will give someone an AIDS diagnosis or are there still 25 O.I's that are AIDS definable? What we have and are currently using now is the list from CDC from the expanded case study that came out in 1993. I'm just wondering if there are more or if there is still only 25 that are AIDS definable because there are many O.I's besides just the 25 on the expanded case definition sheet but not all of them are AIDS definable.

Thanks

Response from Dr. Feinberg

The OIs listed in the 1993 CDC are the ones that are considered AIDS-defining by the US Public Health Service. If, at some point in the future, some other illness was highly associated with thedevelopment of AIDS, then revision of that definition would be considered. But we are 20 years into the epidemic now, and I don't think it's very likely that some previously unassociated illness will suddenly pop up.

vp shunt + crypto menningitis
Best Way to Take Bactrim Prophylactic?