Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

O.I's that are AIDS Defining Illnesses
Jul 26, 2001

Hi my name is Portia Duff and I am a Public Health Trainer/Educator with the HIV/STD Prevention program for my state. A question that keeps coming up in my trainings and presentations is are there any new diseases that are O.I's that with the presence of HIV will give someone an AIDS diagnosis or are there still 25 O.I's that are AIDS definable? What we have and are currently using now is the list from CDC from the expanded case study that came out in 1993. I'm just wondering if there are more or if there is still only 25 that are AIDS definable because there are many O.I's besides just the 25 on the expanded case definition sheet but not all of them are AIDS definable.

Thanks

Response from Dr. Feinberg

The OIs listed in the 1993 CDC are the ones that are considered AIDS-defining by the US Public Health Service. If, at some point in the future, some other illness was highly associated with thedevelopment of AIDS, then revision of that definition would be considered. But we are 20 years into the epidemic now, and I don't think it's very likely that some previously unassociated illness will suddenly pop up.

Previous
vp shunt + crypto menningitis
Next
Best Way to Take Bactrim Prophylactic?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.