Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

vp shunt + crypto menningitis
Jul 26, 2001

I was diagnosed with cryptococcal menningitis two years ago and was in and out of the hospital with reccurences 5 times over 9 months. After the spinal taps came back negative for crypto for two weeks the intra cranial pressures were still extremely high neccesitating a vp shunt placement or daily spinal taps for life. was the shunt a good choice? also did the recurrences have anything to do with the fact that I was not diagnosed with the crypto for 2 weeks? I kept going to the hospital with headaches, vomiting and double vision but the doctors dismissed it as a migraine until I lost movement of my lower body. BTW I am doing fine now. I am kayaking, rock climbing and swimming 60 laps a day. My recovery has been dramatic but I worry about the shunt

Response from Dr. Feinberg

You did the right thing-- the only way to treat increased intracranial pressure is to remove spinal fluid by one means or another. If you hadn't received the shunt to move spinal fluid from your brain to your abdomen, then you would not be functioning at the high level that you are currently, and you would very likely not even be alive. Don't worry, be happy. (If your viral load is well-suppressed and your T cells are high, you may want to discuss the pros & cons of removing the shunt with your HIV doctor and your neurosurgeon.)

Previous
abundance of cherry angiomas
Next
O.I's that are AIDS Defining Illnesses

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.