For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Kaposi's Sarcoma

I've heard KS looks like a bruise, but can it also look like little purple veins forming. It seems like I have developed purple looking small veins in the mucosa of my mouth and a couple on my penis. This is really frightening me. Could KS look like this or does it always look bruise like?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Neither of the descriptions you offered is typical of KS. The lesions tend to be purplish, can be flat or raised, are initially small but may increase over time, and are usually round to oval. If there is any question in your mind as to what your lesions are, see an HIV speicialist or a dermatologist.

timeframe for onset of ARS symptoms?
Shingles in both husband & wife