Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Living with an HIV and Hepatitis B Pos itive Person
Jan 28, 1999

It has recently come to my attention that my roomate is HIV and Hepatitis B Positive. He shares our home with my 10 year child and my husband. He is a gay and not sexually involved with other members of this household. He cooks and cleans for us. Should we all be vaccinated against Hep B? What other concerns would there be?

Response from Dr. Currier

The Hep B vaccine is indicated for household contacts of people who have hep B and are Hep B Surface Antigen Positive ( chronic carriers). The Hep B vaccine has been shown to be safe and effective and is being given to all children born in the US ( or at least offered). I think it would be a good idea to be vaccinated- see your doctor first to see if you have antibody ( called anti-HBs)and if not get the vaccine.

-JC

-JC

Previous
please answer me its urgent
Next
Immune Reconstitution

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.