Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

VRE and MRSA and the HIV+ health proffesional what are my risks?
Jan 19, 2000

I am a nurse who has been + for 4 years, we have residents in the nursing home who have tested + for VRE or MRSA. My doctor tells me I am no more suseptible than anyone else, however I am still concerned. MY VL is 24,000 while my CD4 is 400, if I were to become infected with either of these infections, what would the effects be on my health. I have been unable to find any articles on the disease processes of MRSA or VRE, only how to prevent getting them, could you please give me more information on how these effct the body once infected.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I think your doctor is right. VRE and MRSA are acquired in hospitals and nursing homes by patients who are already seriously ill, are given long courses of multiple antibiotics, and then become infected with these resistant organisms that are present in hospital environments. They cause the same kind of infections that other bacteria cause,depending on what part of the body is involved--like pneumonia if the lungs are infected. Theproblem is that because they are such resistant bacteria, they are hard to treat.

Previous
HIV+ working at Microbiology Lab
Next
Flu vaccine??

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.