Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

VRE and MRSA and the HIV+ health proffesional what are my risks?

I am a nurse who has been + for 4 years, we have residents in the nursing home who have tested + for VRE or MRSA. My doctor tells me I am no more suseptible than anyone else, however I am still concerned. MY VL is 24,000 while my CD4 is 400, if I were to become infected with either of these infections, what would the effects be on my health. I have been unable to find any articles on the disease processes of MRSA or VRE, only how to prevent getting them, could you please give me more information on how these effct the body once infected.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I think your doctor is right. VRE and MRSA are acquired in hospitals and nursing homes by patients who are already seriously ill, are given long courses of multiple antibiotics, and then become infected with these resistant organisms that are present in hospital environments. They cause the same kind of infections that other bacteria cause,depending on what part of the body is involved--like pneumonia if the lungs are infected. Theproblem is that because they are such resistant bacteria, they are hard to treat.

HIV+ working at Microbiology Lab
Flu vaccine??