Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Living with HIV & a CAT is high risk: Real or Rumor?

I was told that a cat was highly infectious and can be a threat to my health. Do I have to get rid of my indoor/out door cat? My cat does not use a litter box but chooses to do his business outdoors instead. He sleeps indoors but stays out most of the time. What kind of precautions should I take to keep him? Or is this all rumor?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Kittens-- but not adult cats-- can carry toxoplasmosis in their stool, so litter boxes for kittens should be handled with care. Your cat poses no risk to you whatsoever, since he doesn't even use a litter box.

Scarlet Fever
pets and hiv-infected individuals