Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV and VACCINES
Apr 10, 2000

Dear Doctor ,,

I'm infected with HIV for one year ..I'm still fit and healthy ...not on any antiviral treatment.I have 3 questions here :(1)can you please tell me what are the vaccines which I need to take as a precaution..for other infections if I'm HIV+ ?..(2) which vaccines are safe to take if I'm HIV+ ?..(3) which vaccines are not safe to take if I'm HIV+ ?please answer my 3 questions! many thanks in advance

Response from Dr. Feinberg

All HI+s should get the vaccine for pneumococcal pneumonia, hepatitis B if they aren't immune from prior hep B infection, and hepatitis A if blood tests are positive for prior hepatitis C. The Public Health Service recommends annual influenza vaccination, but I am not personally convinced that this is necessary unless you are a healthcare worker. I say this because: (1) I have seen little evidence of increased chances of getting influenza and infrequent severe disease from influenza in the past 18 years, (2) viral loads predictably go up after influenza vaccination although they tend to return to prior levels after 1-2 months, and (3) this vaccination has to be repeated annually.

The only vaccines to avoid are the ones that contain live, attenuated (weakened) viruses, such as measles vaccine.

Previous
gardening;Are there any risk for soil borne infections?
Next
DOGS AND HIV INFECTED INDIVIDUAL

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.