Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

gardening;Are there any risk for soil borne infections?
Apr 17, 2000

I have started a small garden. Actually starting indoors working with seeds... seedlings and am now beginning to transplant. I noticed the dust from the soil and the smell of soil in our apartment. I recalled reading years back that working with soil should be avoided.

As the dust particles swirled towards my direction with each breathe I took I began getting fearful; perhaps; being three to four weeks into this venture; I have exposed myself to some bacteria etc. Please advise should I proceed or donate what is now a mini indoor garden? If there are some risk and it may be too late? What are statistics or chances of infection? Is all soil filled with fungus? (some plants are getting white mold and there is some with moss growing? Thank You for your attention to my concern...

Response from Dr. Feinberg

There are some fungal infections that are in the soil and can be inhaled, like coccidioidomycosis (in the dry, desert-like areas of the far West such as the central valley of Calif, Arizona, etc), and histoplasmosis and blastomycosis predominantly in the Ohio and Mississippi River valleys. However, as long as you don't have low T cells (less than 100-200), there is little risk for getting infected from gardening.

Previous
guidelines
Next
HIV and VACCINES

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.