Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Have aids, is it safe to go to Puerto Rico?

My daughter has aids,as of today viral load not detected,cd4 count 130. She has been non compliant with her meds. Is now ready to take them. Is she safe to visit relatives in a rural area of Puerto Rico? I am worried about TB & GI parasites especially. She just started on Bactrim. Will this prevent all GI parasites? Is it safe to eat home made food? Would it be better to wait until CD4 count goes up?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

It would be safer to wait until her T cells are higher (at least above 200). bactrim will not protect her against all possible parasites she could be exposed to in a rural area. Once her T cells are higher, it would be safe to eat homemade food as long as it is well cooked and contains no raw eggs or unpasteurized milk.

GYN visits
guidelines