Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

cervical dysplasia
Dec 28, 1999

I am an HIV positive and was diagnos to have a cervical dysplasia. I was told to undergo a complete hysterictomy but i am afraid of its effect in my present situation. I am not taking any medication and i don't even know how high is my viral load because of lack of facilities. Is cervical dysplasia one of the oppotunistic infection? I would really appreciate to read your answer. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Cervical dysplasia just means that the cells of your cervix (the bottom of the womb) are funny-looking. High-grade dysplasia is more likely to dvelop into cervical cancer, and even low-grade dysplasia in an HIV+ woman should be treated. However, taking your uterus out (hysterectomy) only makes sense if you already have cervical cancer-- otherwise, the doctor will usually scrape or cut away the area with the abnormal-looking cells. Cervical cancer is one of the opportunistic diseases that means you have AIDS. Cervical dysplasia may lead to cancer but isn't yet cancer and doesn't mean you have AIDS. I urge you to think about medicine for your HIV-- that, and careful follow-up for your dysplasia, are your best ways to remain healthy.

Previous
Should Treatment in Women be different then in Men?
Next
Pap Smear????

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.