Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

cervical dysplasia

I am an HIV positive and was diagnos to have a cervical dysplasia. I was told to undergo a complete hysterictomy but i am afraid of its effect in my present situation. I am not taking any medication and i don't even know how high is my viral load because of lack of facilities. Is cervical dysplasia one of the oppotunistic infection? I would really appreciate to read your answer. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Cervical dysplasia just means that the cells of your cervix (the bottom of the womb) are funny-looking. High-grade dysplasia is more likely to dvelop into cervical cancer, and even low-grade dysplasia in an HIV+ woman should be treated. However, taking your uterus out (hysterectomy) only makes sense if you already have cervical cancer-- otherwise, the doctor will usually scrape or cut away the area with the abnormal-looking cells. Cervical cancer is one of the opportunistic diseases that means you have AIDS. Cervical dysplasia may lead to cancer but isn't yet cancer and doesn't mean you have AIDS. I urge you to think about medicine for your HIV-- that, and careful follow-up for your dysplasia, are your best ways to remain healthy.

Should Treatment in Women be different then in Men?
Pap Smear????