Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

alternative prevention therapy for toxoplasmosis

Four years ago I had toxoplasmosis and have been on sulfadiazine, daraprim and leucorvin calcium maintenance therapy ever since. Recently I have developed a reaction to the sulfa drug. Are there any alternative prevention meds I can take. My t-cell count has been stable at 200 for three years is it possible to stop prophylaxis all together?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Yes, there is an alternative drug, clindamycin, that is used with pyrimethamine (Daraprim) and leukovorin.

It may be possible for you to stop chronic maintenance (secondary prophylaxis) entirely, although most of the data that support this come from other OIs and not from patients who have had toxo. Bot if your T cells are as you've described, you get close follow-up from your doctor, and are willing to take the risk, then it may be a reasonable thing to try.

toxoplasmosis
Neurotoxoplasmosis in 36 years old man with HIV