|Is MONO an Opportunistic Infection
Dec 20, 1999
Response from Dr. Feinberg
Mono due to Epstein-Barr virus is not an opportubnistic infection, but mono is a syndrome that can ve caused bo other germs that could be opportunistic, such as CMV virus. Typical mono caused by EBV is passed by close contact (it is also called the "kissing disease") and HIV is passed sexually, so it is possible he got both at the same time. When this happens, viral loads tend to be high, but he has a good chance of responding to combination therapy for HIV.
Confused & worried
- Headache After Anal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- White Bumps After Sucking Penis Worried I Have HIV
- Stress Cause A Abnormal Pap Smear
- After Using Pep Is A Three Month Window Period Accurate
- Bilirubin And ALT Elevated With Tired, Weakness, Fever
- Can Putting A Finger In A Vagina Cause HIV Infection?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.