|Is MONO an Opportunistic Infection
Dec 20, 1999
Response from Dr. Feinberg
Mono due to Epstein-Barr virus is not an opportubnistic infection, but mono is a syndrome that can ve caused bo other germs that could be opportunistic, such as CMV virus. Typical mono caused by EBV is passed by close contact (it is also called the "kissing disease") and HIV is passed sexually, so it is possible he got both at the same time. When this happens, viral loads tend to be high, but he has a good chance of responding to combination therapy for HIV.
Confused & worried
- Does Regular Blood Test Include Cd4 Count?
- Can You Get Hiv From A Community Pool?
- Does Hiv Causes Numbness And Tingling In Feet And Hand?
- Are Condoms 100 Effective Against Hiv?
- How To Get Rid Of Bad Breath Caused By Candidiasis?
- Can You Get Hiv From Fingering With A Scab On Your Finger?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.