Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Esophogial Herpes

I woke up one morning and found it diffult to swallow. I went to the ER where they admitted me. The next day I had an endoscopy and the doc said that my esophgus was full of ulers. The biopsy came back as Herpes. I ended up with an IV for two weeks because the pills weren't working.

My CD count is high and my viral load is undectable. I thought that this OI only happens to people with advanced HIV or AIDS. My doc can't explain it.

My question is am I susceptable to other serious OI'S?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I can't explain it readily, either. In medicine, there are always exceptions to every rule. Hopefully, this will be the only serious problem you'll have, but I can't guarantee that. Take good care of yourself, and try not to worry.

herpes
Recurrent HSV