Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

First trimester and STDs

In the first trimester of pregnancy, which types of vaginitis and STDs do you feel comfortable treating? The CDC guidelines do not oppose treating any of these conditions. However, a colleague of mine refuses to treat ANY woman less than 20 weeks with any type of medications for vaginitis/STDs. We have an HIV + woman with a severe yeast infection that she recommended pouring a vinegar solution over her genitalia. I wanted to treat with a vaginal antifungal. What is your opinion? What is the most current literature that you are familiar with?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

A topical vaginal antifungal makes the most sense to me. Your colleague clearly has a very conservative view of treating pregnant women that many other physicians do not share. And I don't understand the 20 week cutoff when organ formation occurs by week 12 and congenital malformations are everyone's greatest concerns. In addition to CDC guidelines, you can check the position of ACOG (American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology).

AIDS and HTLV-1
I hope you can give me an idea what it might be