Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

AIDS and HTLV-1

Dear doctor could you tell me the connection between AIDS and HTLV-1, how can HTLV-1 affects someone with AIDS?

Thank you, please answer, this is the third time I am posting the question.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I believe I've answered this before. HIV was once called HTLV-3. They are distantly related. It is possible to have both infections. HTLV-1 doesn't cause AIDS, but usually causes T cell leukemia or lymphoma, and is found mostly in Japan, Africa and the Caribbean. Having both infections may possibly lead to more rapid progression to AIDS.

itchy moist penis
First trimester and STDs