Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Balanitis ?
Dec 16, 1999

In May I noticed a dry rash about the size of a dime(with skin flaking) on the glans of my penis. The doctor diagnosed it as a candida related fungal infection and I treated with clotrimazole 1%. The rash subsided after apprxomately 4 week of treatment, but then returned. I re-treated, the rash went away then returned. I am still assuming this is a recurrent balanitis, but no test were done including Syphillis or ghonorrea to confirm diagnosis. Could this be considered an OI. My VL is ND and CD4 around 450. Are there any other tests which could verify what exactly this is and how to treat?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Syphilis can be a great fooler, so it would be useful to get a blood test for syphilis to make sure that is not what you have. It doesn't sound typical of gonorrhea or other common STDs. The lesion could be scapred and cultured for fungus to make a deffinitive diagnosis. Recurrent fungal skin infections, especailly in the groin area, are very common, even in people with good control of their HIV disease (it happens to HIV-s, also). This would not be considered a classical OI-- it is much less serious than that, even if it is a nuisance.

Previous
yeast infection of the genitals Help !!
Next
Just tested positive, started bactrim, have itchy body rash.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.