Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

discoid lupus@Hiv-is this possible

Dear Dr. Fineberg, I have 3 lessions on my face- they are always circular they start out small in increase in size- the outer ring gets larger while the center becomes depressed. First they thought it was herpes but it never responded to the treatments. I have now been told it is discoid lupus. Have you ever heard of a person with hiv- (basically a weakened immune system) having concurrently an infection that is basically an overactiveimmune system. While I trust my Dr. , they have made mis-diagnosises in the past. Do you believe it's possible that I can have hiv and lupus at the same time?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Discoid lupus is an autoimmune condition limited to the skin, and is not usually associated with systemic lupus. It is unusual to have an active autoimmune disease along with HIV, but not impossible. Was this diagnosis made by a skin doctor(dermatologist), or by your regular doctor? Just to make sure, you may want to see a skin doctor.

Are my Med's making my arm pits break out?
Itchy Rash