Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

discoid lupus@Hiv-is this possible
Jan 19, 2000

Dear Dr. Fineberg, I have 3 lessions on my face- they are always circular they start out small in increase in size- the outer ring gets larger while the center becomes depressed. First they thought it was herpes but it never responded to the treatments. I have now been told it is discoid lupus. Have you ever heard of a person with hiv- (basically a weakened immune system) having concurrently an infection that is basically an overactiveimmune system. While I trust my Dr. , they have made mis-diagnosises in the past. Do you believe it's possible that I can have hiv and lupus at the same time?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Discoid lupus is an autoimmune condition limited to the skin, and is not usually associated with systemic lupus. It is unusual to have an active autoimmune disease along with HIV, but not impossible. Was this diagnosis made by a skin doctor(dermatologist), or by your regular doctor? Just to make sure, you may want to see a skin doctor.

Previous
Are my Med's making my arm pits break out?
Next
Itchy Rash

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.