Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

THE SPREADING-INCURABLE RASH-HELP!!

Doctor, I have had a rash for 10 years that has progressed from my back to my shoulders to my chest to my stomach and is now moving down my arms.Having been through Lamisil,Pulse packs and every other anti-fungal as well as tons of antibiotics..it just doesn't stop it. This rash is very sensitive to sunlight and is aggravated by heat and humidity.I believe it's systemic or has an autoimmune aspect to it.I also recently(for the first time)had a hospitalization for diverticulitis(perhaps a connection) The rash itself almost looks like acne(biopsies have shown no bacterial presence and most doctors try to treat it as Folliculitis. Forgive my attempt at self-diagnosis but its almost like the bad bacteria has overrun the good.If you can offer any help you would be a Godsend. Thankyou

Response from Dr. Feinberg

When the biopsies were done, was part of the specimen ever sent for cultures? Longstanding rashes are usually fungal, allergic or autoimmune in origin. I don't think there is a connection to diverticulitis. Blood tests can be used to diagnose many autoimmune diseases. Check with your skin doctor or internist to see what has already been done and what else you can be tested for.

Problems w/skin infections, low Tcell count
Are my Med's making my arm pits break out?