Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Response to Folliculitus in pubic area
Feb 8, 2000

Dr,

I am a fellow alumni from UC and I was disappointed with your response to the cry for help re: folliculitus. I have suffered from same thing for over 10 years and have recently found relief. I have seen every dermatologist in Cinti and no one was able to help. I currently live in Michigan and have found a well informed Dr. that has helped me. Please suggest the medication Minocycline. I have been on this med for appx 6 months and I haven't had an episode since. Yes, folliculitus is itchy, but it can also be painful too.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Thank you for your additional information. Answering questions by email without the advantage of seeing the patient has some inherent difficulties, and one has to work from probabilities rather than from the standpoint of unusual ("zebra") cases. It is certainly possible for folliculitis to hurt, and pain is the end of a spectrum of sensations that starts with itching. I hope the previous questioner sees your reply so that his or her interaction with the treating physician can be informed by a broader range of possibilities. Ultimately, the treating doctor is in the best position of all to make a correct diagnosis-- that is the person who can both visualize, culture and/or biopsy the lesions.

Previous
Rash
Next
Is this Folliculitis?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.