Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Response to Folliculitus in pubic area

Dr,

I am a fellow alumni from UC and I was disappointed with your response to the cry for help re: folliculitus. I have suffered from same thing for over 10 years and have recently found relief. I have seen every dermatologist in Cinti and no one was able to help. I currently live in Michigan and have found a well informed Dr. that has helped me. Please suggest the medication Minocycline. I have been on this med for appx 6 months and I haven't had an episode since. Yes, folliculitus is itchy, but it can also be painful too.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Thank you for your additional information. Answering questions by email without the advantage of seeing the patient has some inherent difficulties, and one has to work from probabilities rather than from the standpoint of unusual ("zebra") cases. It is certainly possible for folliculitis to hurt, and pain is the end of a spectrum of sensations that starts with itching. I hope the previous questioner sees your reply so that his or her interaction with the treating physician can be informed by a broader range of possibilities. Ultimately, the treating doctor is in the best position of all to make a correct diagnosis-- that is the person who can both visualize, culture and/or biopsy the lesions.

Rash
Is this Folliculitis?