Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Constant sinus infection

I am a 37 yr old female and have had HIV for the last 16 years. My T-cells are over 1,000 and my viral load is only 1,800. Because of this, Tulane University Med Ctr advised that they did not even want me to participate in any clinical trials because I am doing so well without ever being on any medication for my condition.

I do get recurrent sinus infections. I do not have a runny nose or post nasal drip. The mucous gets very thick and stays in my sinus cavities. I have tried everything. Is this typical for someone with HIV? What do I do for it?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Many people with HIV seem to have sinus problems. Often they are triggered by allergic reactions and then can be complicated by bacterial infection. Since this is a recurring problem, I suggest you see an ear, nose & throat doctor. You may need a decongestant, an antiallergy nasal spray or pill, antibiotics and/or sinus drainage, all of which can have a role in the management of chronic sinusitis.

Body Hair Loss, Symptom of What?
Seborrhea