Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

swelling

hello

my roommate has been hiv for 14 years and doing remarkably well..he is now experiencing swelling of the feet,legs and pain...does not seem to be getting better...so far his doctors proclaim "don't know" this morning he asked me if his face was yellow....can you explain what is possibly happening ?

e-mail if needed thanks

Response from Dr. Feinberg

You didn't say whether his face was yellow or not-- yellow implies jaundice, which means your liver isn't working right for any of a number of reasons. Likewise, swelling of feet and legs can have many causes, and HIV itself is not a direct cause of such symptoms. If his doctors don't know what's going on then ask them for a referral to another physician.

lumpy
Hiv cause a thinner blood vessel?