Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Reexposure to chicken pox a trigger for shingles?

In the last week I have heard two anecdotal accounts of PWA's having a shingles outbreak shortly after being exposed to a child with chicken pox. Everything I have read seems to indicate that if someone has a positive history of chicken pox and is HIV+, they do not need to avoid person's with active chicken pox. Is it possible that being reexposed to HZV could cause a person's dormant virus to activate? Have you seen thisin any of your patients?

Thanks!

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I haven't seen this. You are correct that shingles results from reactivated chicken pox, and that HIV+s with a history of prior chicken pox do not have to be worried about exposure to it. These 2 cases may have been coincidental.

back to back shingles!!!!! ouch
shingles again