Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Shingles?

Dear Dr....

I've been HIV+ for 6 years, VL undetectable, t-cells=190 in November. My mom was just diagnosed with shingles. Is it ok for me to be around her or should I stay away until her shingles go away? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Missing Mom

Response from Dr. Feinberg

If you've had chicken pox in the past, it's OK to visit because you're already infected with the virus that causes shingles. If you and your mom can't remember whether you've had chicken pox, then stay away until all her sores have crusted over (shouldn't take more than 7-10 days).

Shingles SUCK
back to back shingles!!!!! ouch