Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

SHINGLES....STAY AWAY!
Apr 17, 2000

dear doctor,

1 year ago, i developed shingles on my face and eye. it was the worst pain i have ever experienced. i have since healed, but live in fear that it will come back. my doctor told me that i could take FAMVIR 500mg everyday for the rest of my life, and this would ward off an occurrence of shingles. are there side effects to taking this drug for the rest of my life, and will this in any way affect my cocktail of zerit, epivir, viracept. do you recommend this?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

You can take preventive doses of famciclovir, acyclovir or valaciclovir on a permanent basis. It won't interact with your HIV meds. The potential risk is that of developing drug-resistant shingles from using it all the time. This isn't a huge risk, but it does happen. If your T cells are responding to your HIV meds, that is likely to be the best protection of all. I can understand wanting to avoid that pain again-- it's awful-- but you should know that there is some risk of developing resistance, although it's probably small.

Previous
Vaccination for chicken pox
Next
Shingles SUCK

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.