Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Multipal Infections and Progression

I have a relative who has been Hiv + since 1987. About two years ago his Tcell count dropped below 200. For the last several months his viral load has been 150,000 and his T cell count below 50 (as low as 7). Recently he has started wasting, he has been told he has parasites, he has severe oral and esophagas thrush. He has experienced hearing problems and he has had a staph infection on sores on his legs that were a result of severe reaction to Amphoterican B Iv treatments for the thrush. His liver enzimes are off the charts.

My question is what is next, is their a predictable progression of complications, is this typical of late stage aids?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

End-stage HIV disease is indeed characterized by an increasing number of problems that get harder and harder to control. The best chance of reversing this situation is to take an effective combination of HIV drugs. If he has been on many or most of the drugs available since 1987, it would be reasonable to have his virus tested for resistance. There are 2 kinds of tests-- genotypic and phenotypic-- and each has its advantages and disadvantages. But with the information you can get from these tests, often the best possible combination can be chosen.

Good luck!

Am I a rapid progressor?
living with little or no T-cells?