Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Can you tell me what PML

Dr., can you tell me what PML is and what the effects it has on the body. Can you also let me know if this is something that will go away or that can be treated.

Response from Dr. Currier

PML (progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy) is a brain infection caused by the JC virus. There is no known effective treatment, other than taking combination therapy for HIV, which has caused some HIV+s with PML to improve. The symptoms depend on where the infection is in the brain, but often include weakness and trouble with balance/walking. There is an experimental drug, cidovofir, which is being studied for PML.

PML(JC's virus) treatment
PML OR LYMPHOMA?