Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

OTHER BRAIN INFECTIONS

I HAVE ASKED YOU QUESTIONS BEFORE AND YOU'VE BEEN HELPFUL. I RECENTLY SAW MY INFEC..DISEASE DR. AND SHE REQUESTED ANOTHER NEUROLOGIST LOOK AT MY FILMS. NOW I HAVE BELIEVED THAT I HAD PML SINCE APRIL OF 99. I HAVE BEEN ON CIDOFOVIR SINCE JULY. NOW BECAUSE OF THE WAY MY MRI'S ARE, THEY ARE NOT SURE ANYMORE. THEY THINK IT COULD BE AN INFECTION, BACTERIAL OR FUNGAL. THEY ALSO DON'T BELIEVE IT'S A LYMPHOMA, BUT COULD BE A NON-CANCEROUS MASS. I FEEL CONFUSED AND CAN'T FIND INFO ON OTHER BRAIN INFECTIONS. DO YOU KNOW OF ANY?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

You don't say whether your doctor thinks your MRI is better or worse, but indeed you may not have PML, and most other infections would have worsened in this period without treatment. If you are doing worse, then ask your doctor if it is possible to biopsy the lesion to find out what it is and if it can be treated. If you are better, that's great, and I wouldn't argue with success. Treatment should be directed at how the patient is doing, and not at a scan result.

PML - What is it?
PML(JC's virus) treatment