Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Peptide-T

I read reports on a drug called Peptide-T that has been receiving some good reports on the treatment of PML. I've read one person tell how they went from not be able to do anything to now walking with a cane in less than a year and they are still going strong. Do you have any knowledge on this. Also what steps should a person take as far as types of viral load testing if the diagnosis is PML.

I've read that it is important to know the JC Viral load. How do you go about testing for that. The local lab is not familiar with that test.

Response from Dr. Currier

Peptide T is an experimental drug for HIV that prevents the virus from fusing with T cells. I know of no data about peptide T and PML. There are no established therapies for PML, but cidofovir, a drug for treating CMV, is being investigated for it. There is no "viral load" test for JC virus that causes PML, but there is a PCR test (the same technology that is used for HIV viral loads) that can be used to diagnose PML in samples of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF), the fluid that surrounds the brain and spinal cord.

A new treatment for PML
PML SYMPTOMS