Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Peptide-T
Mar 1, 2000

I read reports on a drug called Peptide-T that has been receiving some good reports on the treatment of PML. I've read one person tell how they went from not be able to do anything to now walking with a cane in less than a year and they are still going strong. Do you have any knowledge on this. Also what steps should a person take as far as types of viral load testing if the diagnosis is PML.

I've read that it is important to know the JC Viral load. How do you go about testing for that. The local lab is not familiar with that test.

Response from Dr. Currier

Peptide T is an experimental drug for HIV that prevents the virus from fusing with T cells. I know of no data about peptide T and PML. There are no established therapies for PML, but cidofovir, a drug for treating CMV, is being investigated for it. There is no "viral load" test for JC virus that causes PML, but there is a PCR test (the same technology that is used for HIV viral loads) that can be used to diagnose PML in samples of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF), the fluid that surrounds the brain and spinal cord.

Previous
A new treatment for PML
Next
PML SYMPTOMS

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.