Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PML Recovery (?)
May 3, 2000

I have a friend who was very recently diagnosed with PML, at the same time he was diagnosed HIV+. He has already lost the majority of his eyesight (why he went to the doc initially), and is experiencing some motor control function loss as well as other CNS quirks (numbness in different parts of body, the feeling of being bitten by bugs).

I read through all the PML FAQs here I could find. Those Q&As, with the websites "re: PML" I could find, have confused me. All the websites give the stats of only 3-4% of HIV+ patients contracting PML, with approx. 90% of those not surviving past 4 months, or 6 months depending on which site you're reading.

Surprisingly, here I'm reading of people who have survived much longer with it, although I'm not certain of their quality of life (thus my confusion).

Basically here is my question: my friend is taking the standard HIV meds, and has begun IV therapy for his PML (actual ingredients not known). Providing that the meds work as planned, will the lesion(s) in his brain lessen and restore at least some, if not all, of his eyesight?

Please respond as quickly as possible. The family, which includes those of us trying to help, is about to fall apart due to the stress and not knowing anything for certain, as well as the fact that not only is he sick, his wife also found out she is HIV+ at the same time he did, but is healthy so far, thankfully.

Thank you for any information you can provide.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Because of the effect of combination HIV drugs on boosting a patient's immune system, some people with PML have been able to improve significantly and to live longer than what was reported in the past. I hope your friend is on such a potent combination (usually with protease inhibitors and/or efavirenz). He is probably getting IV cidofovir as well. He may indeed recover some function, but unfortunately it isn't possible to predict exactly how much or whether his eyesight will improve.

Previous
UPDATE ON CASE
Next
thanks again !!! :)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.