Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Non-Opportunistic Pneumonias

Dear Dr. Currier,

I suppose that I am somwhat confused and hope you can help me out. I am a 41 year old male diagnosed with PCP in 04/97. Since then I have consitently done very well on Combivir/Crixivan, (VL=<50, CD4=650-700. My problem, however, has to do with other pneumonias. In the past eighteen months I have managed to contract three different strains of what my doctor refers to as "garden variety, community borne pneumonias. Unfortuately, each time I ended up hospitalized. My job,(I'm a social worker), does require that I frequently visit hospitals, nursing homes and schools. What I don't understand is if I have simply been in the wrong place at the wrong time, or is it possible than I am more prone to contracting these pnuemonias and should take some steps to limit my exposure? In either case, is there any effective prophylaxis? I do have the vacine injection each fall. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Currier

Despite your good response to antiviral therapy it sounds like you remain prone to developing pneumonia. The annual flu shot is very important and I would also be sure you have received the pneumovax- the vaccine for pneumoccal pneumonia. Beyond that just be sure to wwash your hand after visitng patients in the hospital and try to avoid young children with respiratory illnesses. I am sorry I do not have any great new ideas for you.

Good-Luck

-JC

PCP
Lung Infections/ Abcess'