Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PCP
Mar 1, 1999

I just learned my friend, whom I had no idea had the viris, was in the hospital with PCP. I visited her and aside from having to put an oxygen mask over her face every time she finished speaking to me, it seemed as if she was getting better based on the condition the rest of family claimed she was in just a few days ago. It has been 3 days since my visit and this evening I learned she has lasped into a coma. I am panicking at this point. I need information on PCP, prognosis, will she come out of this and what can I do? Where can I find the information she could use to help her get through this?

Also, i found out that this is the 3rd time she has been hospitalized with PCP.

Afraid

Response from Dr. Currier

Dear Afraid-

I think the best thing to do at this point is to be with your friend and her family during this difficult time. There are several drugs used to treat PCP, if she is in a coma and on a respirator the prognosis is not good. I can't really give you much more information without knowing the specifics of the case.

-JC

Previous
PCP
Next
Non-Opportunistic Pneumonias

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.