Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

PCP

I just learned my friend, whom I had no idea had the viris, was in the hospital with PCP. I visited her and aside from having to put an oxygen mask over her face every time she finished speaking to me, it seemed as if she was getting better based on the condition the rest of family claimed she was in just a few days ago. It has been 3 days since my visit and this evening I learned she has lasped into a coma. I am panicking at this point. I need information on PCP, prognosis, will she come out of this and what can I do? Where can I find the information she could use to help her get through this?

Also, i found out that this is the 3rd time she has been hospitalized with PCP.

Afraid

Response from Dr. Currier

Dear Afraid-

I think the best thing to do at this point is to be with your friend and her family during this difficult time. There are several drugs used to treat PCP, if she is in a coma and on a respirator the prognosis is not good. I can't really give you much more information without knowing the specifics of the case.

-JC

PCP
Non-Opportunistic Pneumonias