Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

treatment of pcp

You are a wonderful person.... saw you at the conferenve in Costa mesa a few months ago... My bf just got PCP, treating with Bactrim now(getting better).. He just got his HIV test(results not known til next week). Suspect positive...My question is: He is scheduled to be on Bactrim for 21 days, is that enough? Fevers are gone, but still has shortness of breath.. he will go get t-cell and viral load as soon as pcp resolved(no need to scare him while body fighting infection right?) he is taking 8 pills aday of bactrim.... thanks for your opinion and help. s

Response from Dr. Currier

Dear S-

Thank-you for your kind words. The usual course of therapy for acute PCP is 21 days, after that he will be put on a preventative dose of once daily to keep him from getting it again. I agree that he should get over the PCP before taking on the antivirals. The number of pillls depends on the strenght and his size, so I can't say if 8 is right. Hope this helps, and best to you and your friend.

-JC

Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia
PCP