Dec 14, 1999
My husband has been on Nelfinavir, d4T, and Efavirenz since May and his T4 count has risen to 374 and viral load <400. In your opinion, does he still need to be on Dapsone 100mg three days a week? We also plan to ask his doctor.
Response from Dr. Feinberg
There is good evidence that people with good control of their viral load and an increase in T4 cells above 200 for at least 3 months can safely discontinue their PCP prophylaxis. If your husband's T4 cells fall or his viral load becomes detectable, the situation is a bit less clear, but it would be prudent to restart dapsone if his T4 cells drop below 200 at some point in the future.
Is it OK for PWAs to visit PWAs in Hospital with PCP
Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia
- HIVpain In Penis After Touching Dried Blood Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Itchy Scrotum After Vaginal Sex Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Pain In Balls After Anal Sex Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Sore On Tongue After Rubbing Penis Worried I Have HIV
- Swollen Lymph Nodes After Unprotected Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
- Can I Use Vinegar To Find Out If I Have Std?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.