Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Is it OK for PWAs to visit PWAs in Hospital with PCP

I am a Ryan White Coordinator and several PWAs told me that they have been advised against visiting a close friend of theirs in the hospital with PCP because it is contagious and they might acquire PCP from visiting. Is this correct?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Clusters of PCP (outbreaks related in space and time) have been described, but are rare, so it is very unlikely that a PWA would get PCP from visiting a sick friend. However, if they are anxious about it, they can ask the hospital staff for a disposable face mask to wear while they're in the room, or they can avoid potential exposure altogether by not visiting. Personally, I think it's not necessary to avoid visiting a friend with PCP, but each person has their own threhold for anxiety, even when something is highly unlikely.

Infections and treatment while HIV positive
PCP Prophylaxis